Thursday, August 30, 2012

A Garden and Pond in Barrel




Living in the city is very stressful in my part so i wanted something to do that can relieve my stress every time I'm home after work. Some would choose to have a dog or a pet. Well, I really want to have a dog but its not practical  if you I have limited time specially if I'm out for 12 hrs everyday no one will feed. I choose to have my own garden  I think that would only require watering before I go to work and see it everyday growing but I want something special  perhaps a pond to raise fish well I can use aquarium for that purpose and I'll have to feed it twice a day, that will do. I want to plant vegetables although flowers will do but I want something that can be use a food. I dream both of it,a pond or aquarium and a garden, raising fish and veggies. I really love that idea. The problem is I don't have space for the garden no soil for plants to grow because we're living in apartment.

I research on internet about gardening knowing that I have only limited space. I came up to a link about  hydroponics I am happy about it because it says that I can grow plants with out soil and I'll be needing only water and nutrient and medium that will hold the plant. The problem of that technique is it looks like it will tear apart my pocket if  I'll make one. Hydroponics is promising and it is very cool. While reading about the the link it opens me a very wide techniques and knowledge on  how to grow plants including, aeroponics, vertical farming, aquaculture, aquaponics and so much more.

What catches my attention is Aquaponics. Aquaponics is a system of raising fish and plant together where both benefits from each other.It is a combination of  Hydroponics and Aquaculture The image below shows a nitrogen cycle where fish and plant are in harmony. It is how the nature works and we will  just apply it.  I don't need to explain, every terms because its easy to search for its terms and meanings on the internet. That's good thing about modern technology. I'll just have to insert the link here as well as to give credit to the sources.i'll just  give a little overview on it.



The aquaponics systems that I found while researching on the net are astonishing.They have a very cool concept and style in creating the whole setup.Even though aquaponics seems to be difficult to implement  I'm still glad  that I found simple. The simple design inspires me. It gives me hope that it is possible for me to make my own DIY version and I'm sure you can do it also. I am sure you can because I have created my own version. I did modify the simple version which I found over the net to suites my need. What I wanted is very affordable ,doable, and should be done easily because I don't have patience and I don't have much resources.



When you have already reach to this part then I'm sure that you want to build one. Of course you want because you've read my boring introduction unless you skip :) So you wanted to make your own setup? I'll gonna show you the prerequisite and step by step procedure using photos on how I manage to make my own setup without the personal help of any person who has "know-how" or professional in this field. In my own understanding, finishing this project has required me to understand the concept of aquaponics, read and read, I analyzed how it will work,copy and improvise, estimate materials, make one and try if its gonna work.These are few link that is quite useful to have a firm grasp on aquaponics. The Backyardaquaponics tackles about the basics of aquaponics. If you search on the net there are plenty of guide but i found this link to be straight to the point, it includes designs,fish,plants and other info.Barrel-ponics also serves as my guide since my design uses barrel. That's my prerequisite read and understand. To be successful you must love it, know it by heart,strong desire to finish what you have started, believe in yourself that whatever happens, there is no other way  for it but to work.







Before I started building my aquaponics system I consider where I have to put it, how wide is the available space,my budget and my time. the only available space is outside the fence and its a sacrifice knowing that there are so many children outside. That's why I came up to use plastic barrel.







 I prepared the materials and the crude tools that I use. One reason I shared this because of my scarce resources I said crude tools I mean it.Lack of resources is not obstacle or reason that my project cant be done.


I used PVC pipes 1/2 inch, PVC pipes fittings, PVC solvent, and sealant for plumbing.All of the materials can be easily bought in hardware. I also recycle aluminum tube from old TV antenna that aluminum tube will be used in automatic water valve mechanism. I used 2x2 inch wood which will be used as a stand. 15 pcs. clay pot that serves as a substitution for the very expensive expanded clay.





I cut the barrel 3/4 and 1/4 in its length. the 1/4 in length will be used for the plants and serve a tray. The longer 3/4 high will be for the fishes and will be used as a tank. I cut it using soldering iron to bore a hole in the body because i don't have a drill just to start cutting and wood saw.










I made a tripod style stand and bore 1/2 inch hole on the upper part that will be used for the plumbing. The holes will be fitted with pvc pipes that is connected to the pump on the lower part of barrel. Painted the stand with plastic varnish.


Its a small  cheap submersible pump capable of pumping water up to 1.5 meter high just enough for my system.Its a 220v pump so make sure electrical connection must be waterproof to avoid accident. That is the reason also that the stand that i made was a tripod type to make sure that the two halves of the barrel are close to each other maintaining the 1meter height higher than 1meter will render my pump useless.

New rubber flapper in toilet tank that will serve as automatic flush for the system.I modified it by cutting those two rubber extension see image below.




It will be placed in the middle of modified drainage made from plastic bottle and connected in lever.










This recycled plastic bottle use to be a discarded battery solution bottles. This will be cut on its upper part to form cylinder.










Bored with tiny holes on its body. Its hole will serves as filter so that the growing medium will not be carried by draining water. It will serves as a drainage filter.

The white plastic is attached to the plant tray using sealant in a part where the hole for flapper sits. The barrel has hole in near the edge of tray where the flapper fit snugly on the hole.









That is the purpose of the recycle aluminum tube. I made it as a lever mechanism for the automatic drainage. It will act like a seesaw.





PVC pipes and fittings assemble and completely sealed using multipurpose sealant (VulcaSeal). PVC pipes are fitted using PVC solvent.









Pump is connected to PVC pipes that runs to upper part which is also connected to horizontal pipe at the top.Horizontal pipe has small cuts to provide distribution of water to the plants. Notice the other inverted white plastic bottle below it is connected to lever mechanism on top via tie wire. That will serves as weights.



On the right side of the lever is a chain connected to flapper. Left side is connected to tie wire which is connected to inverted plastic bottle below. In the middle near the pivot is a modified switch that is connected to the pump electronic switch.The electronic switch is not shown in the photos. I attached it under the plant tray.

This is the purpose of clay pot, it is improvised expanded clay which is used in aquaponics as a medium for holding the plant roots.














Off position lever raise the flapper draining the water.It happens when water on top overflow and partially drain on pipe in the right where the plastic bottle will be filled with water thus increase in weight pulling the chain of flapper and initiates drain in the main drainage.

After sometime the water on the inverted bottle that serves as weights drains its water through the tiny hole in it. the lever will go back to its original position and turn the switch on again. It is a cycle.
























 These are the few seeds I bought in Cubao last month. I bought Tomato, Lettuce,and Cabbage.




In order to grow seeds  of delicate veggies effectively I rolled tissue paper and inserted it on finely crushed clay pot. I put the seeds on top of tissue. Then if its ready its easy to transfer.


The photo below are the first seeds that I planted. There are mongo that has flowers and ready to bear pods. Tomatoes,I have also garlic its fun to see what garlic look like. When I imagine garlic what come to my mind is a white bulb composed of cloves inside,now its different i imagine it as a bulb with leaves. I also planted ginger about the size of my thumb now its 8 inches tall I'm excited to see it flowering. Lettuce and cabbage they are still small and they are delicate. To see them bloom its already a payoff for me and I am happy to see the results.
























I use a filter made out of dish-washing scrub it help get rid of particles that make water murky.






My fishes are Koi. I want Tilapia but as of now I cant find tilapia fingerlings. I'm just feeding them float type fish food.




Electronic control and power of pump is derived from sunlight. I just see to it that the lever mechanism don't stuck and of course feed the fishes. I don't water the plants and no need for fertilizer. Fish food excess are decomposed and waste of fish are filtered and use by the plants. No need to clean the tank.



That's it, even though I made it I'm still learning from it. My setup is not perfect but for me its already good enough because it work. I build it alone but of course it will not materialize without the support of my family,my wife. Thanks for reading my first ever blog watch out for my next very affordable, Do-It-Yourself project. :)

10 comments:

  1. nice one sir jun... DIY rocks \m/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wala bang like button dito? hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice whaha matang lawin kna tlga ... "kuya kim" keep it up..^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha.. ok to pre.. suporta ko ani.. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. I came in on this 3 years later. Very cleaver and wonder how things going with this project. Do you have any updates/ Any upgrades? God Bless!

    ReplyDelete